Thursday, February 4, 2010

Blood Clot & Surgery

Tuesday Bob had chemo. Same old routine. I get up, get stuff ready, try waking him up - he doesn't want to get up. Who the hell would want to? Seriously, this would be my thinking...'Why get up? They are just going to make me feel like shit again. Maybe if I stay in bed I can just rest and sleep and maybe it's all a bad dream that will go away.'

Okay, those are my thoughts on the subject not necessarily his; but if I were in his position I would feel that way on the morning of chemo I'm sure.

So, then I have to sit and talk him into getting up - which sucks. I'm the person who promotes the pain he's about to experience. "Hurry, we will be late. You've got to get up baby. We need to get on the road. It's all going to be okay in the end - we're only 2 months from the end of chemo." Aren't I a huge jerk? Makes me feel like crap each time.

I sometimes start thinking that I should let someone else take him to chemo because then he will not associate me with the pain he goes through...but I suppose that would be a fat cop-out. So, instead I go with him - because there's a part of me that needs to experience all of this right along with him. The same way he has stuck with me through the years.

So we finally got to chemo. The doctor came in & checked him out, while discussing that as soon as chemo is done she's getting that port out of him because it's twisted and has her worried...then she looks at his neck and arm....they are both slightly swollen. This would possibly indicate a blood clot :(

She decided to go ahead with chemo for the day - but after we had to go straight to the hospital across the street for a doppler to check if there was a blood clot....Indeed - there was. I'm pretty sure I went weak in the knees when she told us that. How much can a person go through and how many things can they tell us there is only a slight risk of that end up happening to him?

He is now receiving 2 shots in the belly every evening...for at least a week to disolve the blood clot.

Friday morning we see the surgeon who will remove the port (same guy who put it in) and will schedule the surgery.

After the surgery he may or may not continue the shots but will be on cumadin.

So there it is - the latest. I am unsure how to feel; or what to think. I just suffer along side him. I wish I could trade places with him...seeing him suffer is so hard to stand by and watch.

That's it for now. I'll try to update again tomorrow after seeing the surgeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment